Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Another Sunday Alone

Another Sunday church service ended.  I walked to my car, and drove toward a drive-thru, wanting to get the lunch thing behind me. Why did Sundays seem so hard? Then I allowed memories of past years to float through my mind.

Growing up on a farm in Southern Mississippi, Saturday was a preparation day for Sunday. We mopped the floors, dusted the furniture, and made certain our clothes were ready for Sunday. We shined our shoes and cooked at least a part of the meal that we'd share together after Sunday's services. Even my thoughts, made me recall how incredilble Mother's fried chicken tasted and what wonderful meals we shared.

Then when I married at age 19, the day was once again a family affair...first my husband and I spent it together and then as our children came along, the tradition of the big family meal continued. Many Sunday's we would  invite friends home from church to eat with us.

The years flew by and our kids grew up, and we became empty nesters. We started a new tradition...each Sunday after church we went out to eat..sometimes with friends and sometimes just the two of us but once again it was a time to enjoy and share together.

July of 2002 brought a new twist to our lives. My husband of 32 years was diagnosed with Melanoma and one Sunday in July of 2003, we shared our last Sunday meal together...and by August of 2003, my sweet husband was gone.

Now  I was trying to learn to live this new life as a widow. As I waited in the drive-thru line, I saw couples strolling into the restaurant holding hands. I struggled to fight back the tears, knowing that had been me not so many months before. I wanted to let down the window and say "Do you know how blessed you are? Do you know how  precious this time is? Do you know that everything is just for a season? Please, please cherish each other and these moments!"

Yes, my journey was taking me through a new season of life, and I didn't like it. But I knew many had walked this path before me, and they had survived.  I would, too, with God's help and one day I'd find a new norm. Until then, I would keep putting one foot in front of the other and thanking God for what I once had!! I'd been blessed...thank you, Lord, for all the Sunday's that were filled with joy and fellowship. Help me to recognize Your new blessings as they come and to live with a thankful and expectant heart.
By Pam Whitley

No comments: