Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Letting the Seasons Change

By Pam Whitley

Written - October 29, 2004

We loaded the band saw into the back of my son’s Toyota Four-Runner and he hopped into his vehicle, shifted gears, and backed out of the drive way. I followed him in my car with it also loaded as we moved among the last of my things out of my house.

It was late October and the leaves blew across our paths as we followed the street out of my addition and headed for my new residence. Just as the seasons were changing in the weather, they were changing in my life as well.

The Four Runner my son was driving, my husband and I had purchased for him 10 years earlier when he was a junior in college. Recently he had purchased a new car and when my move was over, he would sell this old vehicle. That vehicle almost felt like a member of the family! We had made dorm moves in it, then apartment moves, and later, after he married, I'd followed as he and his new bride moved to married student housing.

On this day, I couldn’t help but cry as I followed this vehicle once again though the twists and turns of my neighborhood. The other moves had been joyful, this move was to move me from the home my husband and I shared to the home where I would live as a widow. My son was now 31 years old with two children of his own, and I was the one in need of assistance. As that old red Four Runner made one last run loaded to the brim, I thought of how the seasons had changed…. and how I had to let them change and keep my eyes on Him.