Tuesday, March 17, 2009

God’s Faithfulness

Written a couple of weeks before my husband died.
I saw my husband Mike's once strong body slowly succumbing to the cancer that had attacked so viciously. “Oh Lord, give us strength to walk wherever this path is leading.” 
Opening my Bible, I was drawn to 2 Corinthians 5:1-9 Our Heavenly Dwelling
1For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down--when we die and leave these bodies--we will have a home in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands. 2We grow weary in our present bodies, and we long for the day when we will put on our heavenly bodies like new clothing. 3For we will not be spirits without bodies, but we will put on new heavenly bodies. 4Our dying bodies make us groan and sigh, but it's not that we want to die and have no bodies at all. We want to slip into our new bodies so that these dying bodies will be swallowed up by everlasting life. 5God himself has prepared us for this, and as a guarantee he has given us his Holy Spirit. 6So we are always confident, even though we know that as long as we live in these bodies we are not at home with the Lord. 7That is why we live by believing and not by seeing. 8Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord. 9So our aim is to please him always, whether we are here in this body or away from this body
Lord,  if you are giving me this scripture, then I think I know where this leads. I didn’t want to believe that so I didn't share the scripture with my husband, Mike. A few days later, Mike retired to our upstairs theater room to watch the movie Gettysburg. Soon, he came down the stairs and said, “Pam, God just gave me a scripture through that movie. Stonewall Jackson read this to his men before they went to battle.” Mike had his little new testament with him and he started to read II Corinthians 5 to me.
I started crying and then shared with Mike that God had given me the same scripture only a few days earlier. Putting his arms around me Mike said, “It’s going to be okay!” And I knew it would be. God was watching over us and would supply the strength we needed to walk through the valley that yet lay ahead. He was proving Himself day by day! 
“Father God, help us to walk each day by faith, not by sight!”

1 comment:

keeper said...

Wow, God speaks in amazing ways ...
I just stumbled upon your blog. Even though my journey is in singlehood, I love how God leads us in our different adventures. I will keep coming back because I find someone who is living and savoring God....